Three modes of transportation in Wakefield

Title:

Three modes of transportation in Wakefield

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] :;Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1991

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"The horse and buggy, the automobile and the electric street railway were prominent at the time this undated photograph was taken. The Wakefield & Stoneham Street Railway Company was organized in 1889, and chartered in May, 1892. The first tracks were laid in the summer of 1892, from the post office to the junction of Main and Elm Streets in Stoneham, a distance of about two miles. The first car made its run on August 14, 1892. Shortly thereafter, the Stoneham line was extended to Central Square in Stoneham, where connections were made with the Lynn and Boston Road to Melrose and Woburn. Tracks were later added to provide electric rail service from Wakefield center to Melrose, Wakefield Park on the West Side of town, Montrose, Lynn via Saugus, and Reading center. Electric rail service was slowly discontinued from 1919 to the early 1930's, when the trolley lines gave way to bus service." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Local transit -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield -- Pictorial works.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Three modes of transportation in Wakefield ," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11906, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11906 (accessed August 28, 2014).