Wiley's Boathouse, 1905

Title:

Wiley's Boathouse, 1905

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2004

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"Wiley's Boathouse was built at the end of Spaulding Street in 1872, facing west in Hartshorne's cove. Many years later, in 1887, Will Wiley built another boathouse at the end of Lake Avenue right on the shores of Lake Quannapowitt. This single-story boathouse was used by casual boating enthusiasts as well as members of the Quannapowitt Yacht Club who had their own pier at the Spaulding Street boathouse. In 1912, Will Wiley added a second story dance hall. Although it is reported that Will died during the construction of the second story, his widow took over the business and turned it into one of the area's most popular dancing spots. Wiley's Boathouse became Hill's Boathouse, when Gertrude and Harold Hill bought it in 1923. Throughout the years, Hill's remained among the most popular dance halls. The property was purchased by the Town of Wakefield after a Town Meeting vote in October 1963. The boathouse was razed in August 1964." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Quannapowitt, Lake -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.;Quannapowitt Yacht Club (Wakefield, Mass.); Wiley's Boathouse (Wakefield, Mass.).

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Wiley's Boathouse, 1905," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11918, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11918 (accessed October 22, 2014).