Company A, Richardson Light Guard, Main Street circa early 1900s

Title:

Company A, Richardson Light Guard, Main Street circa early 1900s

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2004

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"According to the 'History of the Richardson Light Guard,' the military company was formed after a discussion involving three workers at Thomas Emerson's Sons shoe manufacturing business in September 1851. The three, James F. Emerson, George O. Carpenter, and Joseph L.R. Eaton, agreed that the town of South Reading should have its own military company to keep the men occupied because they had 'no place to go except the taverns and stores.' After speaking to other young men of the town and calling a special meeting in the west school room of the Town House, a rally committee of five was appointed to canvas the town and encourage other men to join. A drill without firearms was held in Academy Hall on October 3rd and on October 7th, the company unanimously voted to be called the Richardson Light Guard in honor of company benefactor Dr. Solon O. Richardson who had donated $500 for company expenses. The Richardson Light Guard received its charter from the Adjutant General E.W. Stone on October 11, 1851 and was officially incorporated into the 7th Regiment of Light Infantry, 4th Brigade and 2nd Division, known by Company D. The Richardson Light Guard responded to calls for action in 1861, 1898 and again in 1917 as Company A of the Sixth Regiment." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Massachusetts Infantry. Richardson Light Guard.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Company A, Richardson Light Guard, Main Street circa early 1900s," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11919, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11919 (accessed July 24, 2014).