Wakefield High School students, Main Street near the Rockery, June 4, 1923

Title:

Wakefield High School students, Main Street near the Rockery, June 4, 1923

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.]:;Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2004

Description:

Photo courtesy of Wakefield Historical Society.

"Wakefield High School pupils, teachers, staff and administrators moved from their former school on Lafayette Street (now Town Hall) to their new home on Main Street next to the state Armory on June 4, 1923. The move, which took the form of a parade, was led by Superintendent of School Willard B. Atwell, Principal Charles J. Peterson, Sgt. Ernest Munroe, and Miss Irene Laughton of the office staff. The drum corps of the high school battalion followed the staff in the line of march. All high school classes marched in order, beginning with the senior class led by Class President Roger Seabury, who later became the WMGLD Electric Superintendent. The seniors were followed in line of march by juniors, sophomores, freshmen and their teachers. The street was lined with students from the Greenwood and Montrose grammar schools, as well as many automobiles and their owners. When they arrived at the new high school, the pupils went to the rooms assigned to them and then assembled in the auditorium where Principal Peterson explained the rules and regulations and read the new orders students were to follow. Following recess and lunch, the students were dismissed for the day, with 'lessons' beginning the following day. The 'new' high school was located on Main Street where the Cyrus Wakefield estate once stood. The original high school building was destroyed by fire in December 1973. The site is now the Galvin Middle School parking lot." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Schools -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield -- Pictorial works.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Wakefield High School students, Main Street near the Rockery, June 4, 1923," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11921, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11921 (accessed August 20, 2014).