Holy Mary del Carmine Society Chapel, 1923

Title:

Holy Mary del Carmine Society Chapel, 1923

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2003

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Daily Item.

"The Holy Mary del Carmine Society chapel and meeting-house at 94 Water Street was officially dedicated on August 8, 1923. The chapel was built by the Santissima Maria del Carmine Society to enable Catholic Italians to practice their faith in their own neighborhood. St. Joseph's Band and members of the building committee led a parade to the chapel. The exercises were opened by Nicola Pirro, chairman of the dedication committee, who 'spoke to the society members in their native tongue, emphasizing the importance of continuing the co-operative spirit that made the building possible.' He also 'appealed to the public in general to avail itself of the other use of the building in any manner which tended toward the uplifting, educating, and Americanizing of their fellow countrymen.' Guest speakers included Rev. John F. Meheran who represented Rev. Florence J. Halloran, pastor of St. Joseph's parish Selectman Charles F. Young Attorney Christopher Dinan, who acted as legal advisor to the society Major Samuel Brooks Police Chief James J. Pollard John MacGillvray Edward B. Kelly Patrick McLaughlin and John T. Stringer. Following the speeches, a reception was held in the basement with selections played by St. Joseph's Band. 'Mary SS del Carmine Society March,' composed for the occasion by bandleader Michael Sibelli with words by Nicola Pierra, was played for the first time at the dedication. Local electrical contractor Joseph W. McInnis supervised the building construction. The building was constructed of concrete blocks 'about 40 feet x 60 feet' with an upper hall used on Sundays for religious services. The hall could seat 300 with a lower hall of the same size that was used as a meeting place. The title to the building and land was transferred to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston. On April 24, 1947, as the Catholic population grew, the mission chapel of St. Joseph Parish became a part of St. Florence Parish, named in honor of Rev. Florence Halloran. On May 22, 1959, a 5.9-acre parcel was purchas

Subject:

Church buildings -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield -- Pictorial works.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- Church history -- Pictorial works; Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Holy Mary del Carmine Society Chapel, 1923," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11931, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11931 (accessed November 28, 2014).