Downtown Wakefield, Main Street, circa 1890s

Title:

Downtown Wakefield, Main Street, circa 1890s

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2001

Description:

Photo courtesy of Bourdon Studios.

"The building at the right of the picture, built in 1875 by Joseph Connell and Thomas Curley, was actually two separate but adjoining buildings, one owned by Asa Boothby, the other owned by the estate of Thomas Curley. In 1903, William T. Curley and his brother, Leo purchased the building, known as the Connell-Curley Block for $9,000. The block, on of the town's largest, was torn down in 1939 to make room for a 'modern' one-story building which was completed in 1940. The occupants at that time were Smith's Drug Store, Cubby Hole Gift Shop and Crystal Fruit Exchange. The buildings to the left were also replaced in the early 1940s by a modern, brick building which housed the Atlantic and Pacific chain store, Russell's Electric Shop, Friends Bakery, and Nagle's Drug Store." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Boothby, Asa.;Curley, Leo.;Connell, Joseph.;Curley, Thomas.

Connell-Curley Block (Wakefield, Mass.);Smith's Drug Store (Wakefield, Mass.);Cubby Hole Gift Shop (Wakefield, Mass.);Crystal Fruit Exchange (Wakefield, Mass.);Friends Bakery (Wakefield, Mass.);Nagle's Drug Store (Wakefield, Mass.);Russell's Electric Shop (Wakefield, Mass.)

Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Downtown Wakefield, Main Street, circa 1890s," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11941, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11941 (accessed October 25, 2014).