Lowell Street Station, 1929

Title:

Lowell Street Station, 1929

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2001

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"At one time, Wakefield had six railroad stations, servicing the three branches of the Boston & Maine Railroad: the Main line, the Salem branch, and the Danvers-Newburyport branch. The Lowell Street station accommodated the latter branch. The extension of the Boston and Maine Railroad from Wilmington to Boston in 1845, placed the Town of Wakefield on the main line, eventually leading to an increase in population and status as an important railroad center. The later construction of the Danvers-Newburyport Railroad and the South Reading Branch (the Salem Branch) through Wakefield brought residents closer to other parts of the state and New England. In 1894, the three branches of the railroad attracted over 1,500 riders to and from Boston each day. Forty trains passed through Wakefield daily. Usage dropped off in the early 1920's, and in 1924, there were 20 incoming and outgoing trips daily. This lead [sic] to an announcement in December, 1924 that the Boston & Maine would abandon 76 miles of 'unprofitable tracks, 30 of which were in Massachusetts.' Service from Wakefield Center station (Water Street) to Newburyport and beyond was targeted. The railroad company blamed the 'unprofitable mileage' on the fact that 'the system is a combination of many small roads constructed years ago' and 'the rapid development of the motor bus and motor truck and the extensive program of highway construction and improvement.' Service continued, and in September, 1925, the railroad company made another announcement that the Danvers-Newburyport line would be curtailed to one trip each way through Wakefield. At the time, the line had an operating loss of $106,000 annually. Opposition from other communities mounted and an agreement was made that two trips on the Danvers-Newburyport branch would be kept, leaving Newburyport at 6 a.m. and 7:02 a.m. (reaching Wakefield at 7:14 and 8:21 a.m.) and leaving Boston at 4:49 p.m. and 5:28 p.m. The only stops between Wakefield Center and Newburyport were in Georgetown and Topsfield. Several station

Subject:

Railroad stations -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Lowell Street Station, 1929," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11942, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11942 (accessed September 21, 2014).