Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900

Title:

Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2000

Description:

Photo courtesy of Bear Hill Golf Club and Christopher J. Barrett.

"According to the history published for the Wakefield Tercentenary observance, residents in the newly established Park Section of Wakefield organized a country club soon after the area was developed by Stendman Hanks. Headquartered on Morrison Road, the Bear Hill Golf Club moved to its first home on Hopkins Street in 1900, where a club house was built and a nine-hole golf course laid out. The Club purchased additional land in 1913, and, to meet the needs of the increasing membership, erected a new club house in 1920 on the south side of Prospect Street. A new nine-hole golf course was laid out. Several additional purchases of adjacent land over the years resulted in the lengthening of the golf holes. The second club house was destroyed by fire in 1939, and members rebuilt the clubhouse on the same site, using the existing foundation." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Bear Hill Golf Club (Wakefield, Mass.).

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Bear Hill Golf Club, circa 1900," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11961, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11961 (accessed September 2, 2014).