Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922

Title:

Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.;Winship, Charles Newell.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1999

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Item Company.

"The Winship Mansion, also known as the Winship estate, was home to Charles Newell Winship, who along with Elizabeth E. Boit formed a partnership under the firm name of Winship, Boit & Company. In 1888, the two established the Harvard Knitting Mills in Cambridgeport, relocating to Wakefield's Taylor Block in 1889, and later to Albion Street. A native of Needham, Charles Winship lived on Pleasant Street before building the spacious home on Jordan Avenue in the early 1900s. The estate overlooked much of the town, particularly the Harvard Knitting Mills. In 1922, he purchased 12 acres of surrounding land which he developed. The development, comprised of Newell Road, Walter Avenue and Fox Road, was known at the time as Winship Manor. After his death in 1946, his family sold the 9.1 acre estate to the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in early 1947. The estate was used as a convent which housed more than 40 Sisters of Nazareth. An academy was later built on the convent grounds. The convent and its grounds were sold in 1978 to a developer who built single family residences." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Winship Estate (Wakefield, Mass.);Harvard Knitting Mills (Wakefield, Mass.);Winship Estate (Wakefield, Mass.)

Architecture, Domestic -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield; Winship, Boit & Company(Firm); Winship, Boit & Company(Firm).

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.;Winship, Charles Newell., "Winship Mansion, Jordan Avenue, circa 1922," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11969, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11969 (accessed November 1, 2014).