Montrose Chapel, Salem Street, circa 1895

Title:

Montrose Chapel, Salem Street, circa 1895

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1998

Description:

Photo reprinted from Proceedings of the 250th Anniversary of the Ancient Town of Redding.

"The Montrose Chapel was located on the south side of Salem Street near the intersection of Lowell Street. Local history reports that the extreme easterly portion of Wakefield realized the importance of having religious services within its own area. As a result, meetings of a 'religious nature' were held in the schoolhouse and were conducted by various laymen from nearby churches. A 'union Sunday School' was started in 1873, gaining the attention of the YMCA who supported the school, as did other laymen from town churches. A 'society of ladies' was formed in 1877 with the building of a chapel in mind. A chapel society was created in 1881, and four years later, $1400 had been raised for this purpose. A lot of land was deeded to the society by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stowell, with the stipulation that it be used as a place of worship for Evangelical Christians. The debt-free chapel was dedicated on April 28, 1886, thanks to a number of outside donations. he chapel held Sunday school and services which were conducted by members of different denominations. The Montrose Chapel also housed the Montrose Branch of the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library from 1946 to 1981. It is now a private residence." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Chapels -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield -- Pictorial works.

Wakefield (Mass.) Church history Pictorial works; Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Montrose Chapel, Salem Street, circa 1895," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11982, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11982 (accessed October 22, 2014).