Engine 2, Greenwood Fire Station, July 3, 1954

Title:

Engine 2, Greenwood Fire Station, July 3, 1954

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1998

Description:

Photo courtesy of Murray Young.

"On April 1, 1902, the Town of Wakefield voted to sell the Greenwood Fire Station on Oak Street and convert the adjacent vacant Greenwood School building into a fire station. The school, originally built in 1847 on the east side of Main Street just south of Meriam Street, was moved to Oak Street in 1858. The cost for renovating the building for use as a fire station was $746.75. The building housed the Fire Department's first horse in 1903, which was then replaced by the chemical and hose wagon, the first motorized fire apparatus put in service in Greenwood in 1914. In November, 1924, a 1912 Webb pumping engine was relocated from the Central Fire Station to Greenwood, thereby changing the station designation from Hose 3 to Engine 2, its present identification. The engine pictured, a 600 GPM pumping engine, was purchased from the Seagrave Fire Apparatus Co., at a cost of $7000 and was placed in service as Engine 2 in 1929. The engine was replaced in 1955. The wooden fire station was razed in September, 1962 and replaced by the present wood-joisted masonry fire station in May, 1963. The building also housed the Greenwood Branch of the Lucius Beebe Memorial Library." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Wakefield (Mass.) Fire dept. -- Pictorial works.

Fire stations -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Engine 2, Greenwood Fire Station, July 3, 1954," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #11987, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/11987 (accessed October 20, 2014).