Howard Johnson's Lakeside, circa 1936

Title:

Howard Johnson's Lakeside, circa 1936

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1996

Description:

Photo courtesy of Wakefield Item Company.

"Howard Johnson's ice cream stand and restaurant opened for business and restaurant opened for business on June 14, 1936, at the head of Lake Quannapowitt. The popular roadside 'stand' was built by Pasquale DeCristofaro (formerly of Wakefield) on the site of the former Wes Parker clam stand when that eatery moved across the street. On opening day, area residents flocked to the restaurant in droves, creating traffic jams for the five Wakefield policemen who were on duty for the opening. When the restaurant closed at 10 p.m. that evening, more than 900 chicken dinners, 1,150 gallons of ice cream, and 4,500 frankfurters (their specialty) were served throughout the 11 hours. The restaurant closed in October, 1954, and enjoyed a 'good reputation' for many years. After Howard Johnson's, the site was occupied by the Lakeside Villa and Lanai Island." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Howard Johnson's Lakeside (Wakefield, Mass.).

Howard Johnson Co. (firm)

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Howard Johnson's Lakeside, circa 1936," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12012, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12012 (accessed September 3, 2014).