Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931

Title:

Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1995

Description:

Photo courtesy of Tony and Jean Giuliano.

"In historical publications, the Center House was listed as the site of the John Poole homestead, and also as the home site of Capt. Thomas Greene (the old miller) built before 1700. The Center House was named for its proximity to the Center Depot, and it may have been referred to as the Wakefield Boarding House. Several Wakefieldians remember a store and a tavern located on the first floor with apartments located above. Still others remember that it was used at some time as a hotel for travelers on the Danvers and South Reading Branch of Salem Railroad which was abandoned in 1926." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Center House (Wakefield, Mass.); Wakefield Boarding House (Wakefield, Mass.).

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Center House, Water Street, east of the railroad crossing, Winter, 1931," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12022, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12022 (accessed December 21, 2014).