Hill's Boathouse, circa 1930's

Title:

Hill's Boathouse, circa 1930's

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1993

Description:

Photo courtesy of Tony and Jean Giuliano.

"In 1872, Albert S. Wiley established a one-story boathouse at the end of Spaulding Street to accommodate the many boaters who enjoyed sailing, rowing and canoeing on Lake Quannapowitt. In 1887, the Wiley's [sic] erected a new, one-story boathouse at the end of Lake Street. The building received a second story in 1912, which housed a dance hall and soda fountain, frequented by servicemen stationed at Camp Curtis Guild during World War I. The boathouse was sold to the Hill Family in 1923. The Hills were provided with an inventory of their purchase: 80 public canoes, 43 private canoes (with 4 in the shop), 21 public rowboats, three private rowboats, one sailboat, one power boat, one private power boat, 109 rugs (for the canoes), 84 cushions, 153 pillows, 83 paddles, and 57 oars. The boathouse did a 'thriving business for several years, prior to the widespread use of the automobile, summer camps, vacation trips, the upsurge of the summer resort business and other forms of recreational and time consuming competition.' In addition to the boat facilities, the building housed the Quannapowitt Yacht Club for several years. When sold to the Town in 1963, the property was referred to as 'a large two-story wooden structure...the first floor of which is occupied by the storage, sale and rental of canoes and boating equipment, a sales and display room, a luncheonette counter in the southeast corner, a service shop for outboard motors and motorboats the second floor being used in its entirety for public dancing and ballroom purposes.' The boathouse was taken down shortly after the Town's purchase. To the right of the boathouse stood the Morrill-Atwood Ice Company." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Quannapowitt, Lake -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Hill's Boathouse, circa 1930's," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12056, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12056 (accessed July 30, 2014).