Downtown Wakefield, spring, 1959

Title:

Downtown Wakefield, spring, 1959

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

1992

Description:

Photo courtesy of Bourdon Studios.

"Wakefield residents were treated to a rare sight one day in early spring when the Greenwood railroad station was dismantled and moved to Pleasure Island. The project, complete with accompanying trucks and the man perched on the building's highest peak, moved slowly through the main streets of Wakefield to Pleasure Island Road (now Audubon Road). The 80-ton building was hoisted onto the flatbed of the truck and taken to Pleasure Island, where it was used as the Pleasure Island and Western Railroad Station. Children of all ages boarded 'Old Smokey' at the station and embarked on a journey through the park." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Railroad stations -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Downtown Wakefield, spring, 1959," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12068, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12068 (accessed July 31, 2014).