Maj. Suell Winn home, Elm Street

Title:

Maj. Suell Winn home, Elm Street

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2005

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"The Suell Winn House, at the corner of Elm and Winn Streets, was built around 1813 on the site of the homesteads of Capt. Richard Walker and Ebenezer Damon. Walker, one of Reading's first settlers, was the soldier and surveyor of the original settlers and the captain of the first training band. Born in 1610, Walker was allotted 200 acres by a 1638 grant by the General Court and was one of 32 settlers listed in the land map of 1647. Damon was reported to have built his home before 1775. The extensive land holdings of Samuel Winn were divided by the railroad in 1844. Winn was killed while crossing the railroad tracks near his home following a Town Meeting where he voiced his opinion about the need for a safeguard at the crossing. The home was later owned by Town Historian, Edwin Purrington, and his family." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Suell Winn House (Wakefield, Mass.).

Architecture, Domestic -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Maj. Suell Winn home, Elm Street," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12101, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12101 (accessed October 24, 2014).