Main Street and Rockery, circa 1909

Title:

Main Street and Rockery, circa 1909

Creator:

D'Onofrio, Jayne M.

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2005

Description:

"Proposed in 1883 and built in 1884, the Rockery was erected as part of the $10,000 bequest from Cornelius Sweetser and through private donations. A Parks Commission was created by the Town to oversee the project which included the laying out of the common and the building of the bandstand. The grotto-like structure, with its pyramid of rocks surrounded by ivy, shrubbery and a fountain, was proposed by Parks Commissioner James H. Carter. An attempt to remove the Rockery failed in 1898. The tablet at the front of the Rockery was donated by 'one hundred of the townspeople' in 1909. The watering trough was erected in 1892 and was removed in 1921. The YMCA, at left, was built in 1908 at the site of the former home of Burrage Yale and the Thomas Emerson & Sons Shoe Manufacturers." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Rockery (Wakefield, Mass.)

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

D'Onofrio, Jayne M., "Main Street and Rockery, circa 1909," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12102, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12102 (accessed August 27, 2014).