Main Street, Wakefield


Main Street, Wakefield


Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,




Photo courtesy of the Payro family and Louis Picardi.;"Lucius Beebe, author of 'Boston and the Boston Legend' and 'High Iron', a book about railroads, penned an article for the 1939 issue of 'House and Garden'. In this article, he spoke fondly about the history of the Beebe farm and the Town of Wakefield. He described Wakefield as 'twelve miles north of the Boston Stone on the western division of the Boston and Maine Railroad. (In 1840,) it was a rural community with its squire on the hill, its horse trough in the public square, its Main Street, Railroad Street and Mechanics Street, its common surrounded by various approved Protestant churches, its bandstand where the Richardson Light Guard's band achieved approximate harmony two evenings a week in the summer and its Lake Quannapowitt dotted with modest pleasure craft.'" -- The same area is now the Rockery. -- Text from calendar.


Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Main Street, Wakefield," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12111, (accessed August 19, 2017).