View from Cowdrey's Hill, circa 1876


View from Cowdrey's Hill, circa 1876


[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,




Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"This picture was taken from Cowdrey's Hill, probably from Fairmount Avenue. Cowdrey's Hill, in the Prospect Street area, was named for the area in which William Cowdrey, one of the Town's first inhabitants, settled. The picture shows the rear of the Atwell and Emerson houses. According to the 1886 street listing, John B. Atwell lived at 1 Prospect Street where his property included a dwelling house, two shops and two to three acres of land. James Emerson lived on Prospect Street, west of Cedar Street. His property included two cows, a dwelling house valued at $1000, a barn, and eight acres of land on Prospect Street, with an additional one-acre of land on West Cedar Street, a three-acre meadow on Elm Street and 12 acres of woodland on Nahant Street. Emerson, the second son of shoe manufacturer Thomas Emerson, was active in town affairs, serving as town treasurer for 25 years, president of the Wakefield Savings Bank, director of the National Bank of South Reading and was active in organizing the Richardson Light Guard." - Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Donofrio.


Lake Quannapowitt (Wakefield, Mass.)

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"View from Cowdrey's Hill, circa 1876 ," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12152, (accessed August 17, 2017).