Carriage house at the Beebe Farm, Main Street, circa 1890

Title:

Carriage house at the Beebe Farm, Main Street, circa 1890

Publisher:

[Wakefield, Mass.] : Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2008

Description:

Photo courtesy of the Wakefield Historical Society.

"The Beebe Homestead and Farm on the east shore of Lake Quannapowitt was designed by Samuel McIntire of Salem and built in 1810 as a gentleman's estate for a member of the Forrester family of Salem. Lucius and Sylenda Beebe purchased the estate in 1852. It was there that they raised eleven of their twelve children. The Beebe's farm was known for its abundant flower and vegetable gardens, fruit trees, herds of milk cows, fowl, and bee-hives. As noted in books and newspaper articles about Lucius Beebe, the carriage house was filled with 'horse rigs and sleighs, cutters (small sleighs that were drawn by a single horse), four-seaters, plows and pungs (low box sleighs).' It was also a Thanksgiving tradition to line the children up to mark their heights on the wall." - Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Donofrio.

Subject:

Architecture, Domestic -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield;Beebe Farm (Wakefield, Mass.)

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Carriage house at the Beebe Farm, Main Street, circa 1890 ," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12165, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12165 (accessed August 1, 2014).