Richardson Light Guard, Richardson home, Main and Richardson Avenue, 1877 [picture] / Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department.

Title:

Richardson Light Guard, Richardson home, Main and Richardson Avenue, 1877 [picture] / Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department.

Publisher:

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department,

Date:

2005

Description:

"The Richardson Light Guard marched to the home of the late Dr. Solon Richardson in full dress, which may have been prior to the 'mammoth military pageant' in Boston to honor President Rutherford B. Hayes on June 26, 1877. The Richardson home at the corner of Main and Richardson Avenue was built in 1817 and immediately occupied by Dr. Nathan Richardson and his family, including his son Solon, who was instrumental in the founding of the Richardson Light Guard. The house faced Main Street and had extensive land between Main Street and North Avenue. The land was divided during the late 1890s and the house was moved to the corner of Foster Street and Richardson Avenue. Following the death of Solon Richardson, Jr., the house was sold and was purchased by the jeweler, H.S. Sorenson. It was also home to the Colonial Inn. The Richardson Building, a commercial building, was erected on the original site of the house on Main Street in 1901." -- Text from calendar by Jayne M. D'Onofrio.

Subject:

Massachusetts Infantry. Richardson Light Guard.

Wakefield (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department calendars

Tags :

Citation :

"Richardson Light Guard, Richardson home, Main and Richardson Avenue, 1877 [picture] / Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department.," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #12198, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/12198 (accessed April 25, 2014).