The Montrose School at 531 Lowell Street, Wakefield, Mass.

Title:

The Montrose School at 531 Lowell Street, Wakefield, Mass.

Creator:

Sardella, Mark S., 1951-

Publisher:

Wakefield, Mass. : The author,

Date:

2008

Description:

Photos show the Montrose School at 531 Lowell Street on the south side of the street opposite Coolidge Park in the Montrose section of Wakefield. The brick school was built in in 1918 to serve elementary school students in the northeast section of Wakefield, known as Montrose. The school was enlarged and remodeled in 1930. By the 1990s, the school was no longer being used for educational purposes, and students in that part of town attended classes at the newly modernized Dolbeare School, less than a mile away near the corner of Lowell and Vernon streets. The Montrose was briefly leased as temporary studio space by Wakefield Community Access Television (WCAT) while a permanent studio was being built. In 2001, the School Department turned the Montrose School over to the Selectmen to determine its long-term future. The building subsequently served as temporary headquarters for the Wakefield Police and Fire Departments while the new Public Safety Building was being constructed downtown. In 2008, after several years of study, the building and grounds were sold to Symes Development, LLC. The building was razed in September 2008 and replaced by a subdevelopment of 10 or 11 single family homes. All photos taken July 26, 2008, at 6:30 p.m., except photo 6, taken February 21, 2007, at 5:00 p.m., and photos 7-9, taken March 25, 2007, at noon.

Subject:

Schools -- Massachusetts -- Wakefield -- Pictorial works; Montrose School (Wakefield, Mass.)

Wakefield (Mass.) -- Pictorial works.

Collection :

Current Images of Wakefield

Tags :

Citation :

Sardella, Mark S., 1951-, "The Montrose School at 531 Lowell Street, Wakefield, Mass.," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #14174, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/14174 (accessed August 30, 2014).