Stone Chapel Exterior

Title:

Stone Chapel Exterior

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

The Stone Chapel had originally been planned to go up in 1864, but a pledge fell through and it was not built until 1875. It was used jointly by the Theological Seminary and the Academy. Its bell tower held a bell that was a facsimile of the Independence Bell and was inscribed to the memory of Josiah Bartlett, the first signer of the Declaration of Independence. The last service was held June 20, 1931 and shortly after it was demolished.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

,

Citation :

"Stone Chapel Exterior," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #15551, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/15551 (accessed December 17, 2014).