Old Main Building Interior

Title:

Old Main Building Interior

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

1885

Description:

Built in 1865 to replace the Stone Academy which had burned in 1863, the Old Main Building, as it came to be known, was designed by Mr. Cummings. In April that year every person connected to the Academy met at the proposed site to remove a spadeful of earth for the new foundation. In 1899 it too burned and after a remodelling demolished in 1927.
The chapel was located within the Main Building, but its interior was an attempt to look like a church with a cathedral ceiling.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Old Main Building Interior," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #15554, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/15554 (accessed November 1, 2014).