Construction on Abbot Hall began in October of 1828 and the doors opened May 6, 1829. Originally planned for construction on Main Street, it was built on a one acre lot on School Street instead. For the first 60 years of its existence it faced School Street. In 1888 it was moved to its present location. In 1908 the John-Esther Art Gallery was added to the north side of the building. This photograph shows the building in its original position with Smith Hall behind it. Smith Hall was named for Peter Smith who sent nine girls to Abbot and it transformed Abbot from a day school to a boarding school. Smith Hall came down after Draper Hall was built and in time to move Abbot Hall.
Phillips Academy -- Buildings
Abbot Academy -- Buildings
"Abbot Hall," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #15594, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/15594 (accessed February 7, 2016).