Abbot Tavern

Title:

Abbot Tavern

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

October 17,1934

Description:

The Abbot Tavern located at 70 Elm Street in town was owned by Deacon Isaac Abbot and was visited by George Washington during his tour of the Northeast in 1789. He had breakfast here with Samuel Phillips and Deacon Abbot's little girl is told to have mended his riding glove while he dined. He and Judge Phillips returned to Phillips' house and spent a leisurely few hours before moving on to Lexington.

Subject:

Andover -- Massachusetts

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Abbot Tavern," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #15595, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/15595 (accessed April 20, 2014).