Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room

Title:

Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

Foxcroft Hall, originally called Phillips Hall, was built by the Seminary in 1809, a gift of Phoebe Foxcroft Phillips and he son John. It served primarily as a dorm. It was purchased by the academy as part of the purchase of the Seminary in 1908. It had four stories as did Bartlet Hall, but in 1929 the top floor was removed to match the other dorms. This photograph shows the J. Wesley Churchill Memorial Room. Churchill was a graduate of both the Academy and the Seminary and taught at both as well as Abbot Academy. It was considered by many to be the finest elocutionist and reader of his time. His portrait is on the wall. The room was named for him in 1902.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Phillips Academy -- Foxcroft Hall

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, , ,

Citation :

"Foxcroft Hall's Churchill Memorial Room," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #15933, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/15933 (accessed August 22, 2014).