Bulfinch Hall as the Gym Burns


Bulfinch Hall as the Gym Burns


Phillips Academy


Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. The top image appears on a card that was sent out as a fundraiser for the new gymansium, and depicted the greatest reason for a new one. The bottom image is looking up the hill from the south side and shows the wing that was added to make it a dining hall.


Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Bulfinch Hall as the Gym Burns," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16128, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16128 (accessed September 22, 2017).