Bulfinch Hall Main Floor

Title:

Bulfinch Hall Main Floor

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

1903

Description:

Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. This shows the dining hall on the first floor as it appeared in 1903.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Bulfinch Hall Main Floor," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16130, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16130 (accessed October 25, 2014).