The Stowe House as the Phillips Inn.

Title:

The Stowe House as the Phillips Inn.

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

In 1853 Harriet Beecher Stowe became interested in this building while she and her husband were living in Samaritan House during Calvin's teaching at the seminary. The building had a multitude of student activities held in it including coffin building anda dump. It was a shell at the time Harriet saw it, but the school had it renovated and the Stowe's held many school events here for faculty and student alike. In 1888 a wing was added and it served as the Phillips Inn until 1929 when the new inn was built and Stowe House was moved to Bartlet Street.
After it retired as the Inn, Stowe House moved down the hill to its current location on Bartlett Street. As the Inn, the patrons would bring the chairs outside top enjoy the New England air,

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"The Stowe House as the Phillips Inn.," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16141, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16141 (accessed December 20, 2014).