Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break

Title:

Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

August 1950

Description:

Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. Sunny days would find the boys on the stairs and grass outside the halls. Coats would stay on, as required.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Bulfinch Hall and the Boys on Break," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16158, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16158 (accessed November 23, 2014).