Bulfinch Hall with the Shutters Closed

Title:

Bulfinch Hall with the Shutters Closed

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

Bulfinch Hall, once called The Brick Academy was built in 181 to replace its wooden predecessor, which had burnt to the ground. It served as the main academy building or Classic Hall from 1818 to 1843 and then for the Classical Department only until 1866. From then until 1896, when it was gutted by a fire, it was the gymnasium. In 1902 it became a dining hall, and lastly the home of the English Department in 1937. Bulfinch has served the academy well over the centuries. Before air conditioning, the only way to keep rooms cool, was open the windows and close the shutters. All the windows open would allow for a cross draft.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Bulfinch Hall with the Shutters Closed," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16161, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16161 (accessed July 22, 2014).