Wakefield Town Hall, corner of Main and Water Streets, Wakefield, Mass.

Title:

Wakefield Town Hall, corner of Main and Water Streets, Wakefield, Mass.

Creator:

Mellett, Alfred.;Klapes, Jeffrey M., 1964-

Publisher:

Wakefield, MA : The authors

Date:

2011

Description:

"This photo mashup shows Main Street looking north from Water Street. The impressive building on the corner is Wakefield’s original town hall, built with funds donated by Cyrus Wakefield. The structure was completed in 1871, and in gratitude to Cyrus, the townspeople decided to change the town’s name in his honor from South Reading to Wakefield. Unfortunately, this magnificent building was damaged by fire in 1950, and after several years of debate, the town decided to demolish it rather than restore it. It was torn down in 1958 and the site is now a parking lot." - caption provided by Jeff Klapes, contest entrant.

Original photo of Town Hall from 1947 by Alfred Mellett. Current photo taken by Jeff Klapes, 2011.

Subject:

Town Hall (Wakefield, Mass.)

Manipulated photographs.

Collection :

Wakefield Then & Now Photo Contest

Tags :

,

Citation :

Mellett, Alfred.;Klapes, Jeffrey M., 1964-, "Wakefield Town Hall, corner of Main and Water Streets, Wakefield, Mass.," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16205, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16205 (accessed October 1, 2014).