Berry House Home to Mr. Johnson

Title:

Berry House Home to Mr. Johnson

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

Berry House was the final name for what had been Blunt Tavern, built sometime before 1765 by Captain Isaac Blunt. The Berry Family bought the house in the 1870's from Mr. Holt who had also bought the house in the 1870's from the Blunt family. The Berry's maintained it as a rooming house and then sold it to the Academy in 1923. 1930 marked the end of the structure as it was torn down to make an open space between Commons and the PBX Society House. This photograph call it "The Elm" and that a Warren L. Johnson is living in it. The photograph is undated, but likely the time between Dr. Berry owning it and the school tearing it down.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

, ,

Citation :

"Berry House Home to Mr. Johnson," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16255, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16255 (accessed November 27, 2014).