Blanchard House's Front Door

Title:

Blanchard House's Front Door

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

1927

Description:

Blanchard House built shortly before the opening of the 19th century, by John Blanchard. By 1802 Deacon Amos Blanchard, the first cashier of the Andover Bank, owned the house and was permitted to take in seven Academy boys as boarders. Various renters over the years continued the practice, after the Seminary purchased the house in 1812. The Academy acquired it in 1908 as part of the purchase of the Seminary, and in 1928 it was moved from it's Salem Street location to Hidden Field on West Quad to make room for Commons. This photograph shows the front door with its distinctive eagle door knocker.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

,

Citation :

"Blanchard House's Front Door," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16266, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16266 (accessed November 25, 2014).