Borden Gym & Its Cupola


Borden Gym & Its Cupola


Phillips Academy


Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which was now to become a Dining Hall. In 1909 the students started a fund to build a pool, and by the end of 1911 the pool was open in a new wing. It has since held many events not the least of which was SAT Testing. It wouldn't be a building of note if it didn't have a cupola.


Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :


Citation :

"Borden Gym & Its Cupola," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16273, (accessed November 28, 2015).