Borden Gym and its Equipment

Title:

Borden Gym and its Equipment

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Date:

1903

Description:

Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which was now to become a Dining Hall. In 1909 the students started a fund to build a pool, and by the end of 1911 the pool was open in a new wing. It has since held many events not the least of which was SAT Testing. Pommel horses, rings, vault and horizontal bars are spaced around the gym floor to provide many students the opportunity to exercise at the same time. What appears to be a grand piano was likely for the dances that the gym also hosted.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Athletics

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

,

Citation :

"Borden Gym and its Equipment," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16277, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16277 (accessed October 24, 2014).