Borden Gym with an Open Middle Configuration


Borden Gym with an Open Middle Configuration


Phillips Academy


Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which was now to become a Dining Hall. In 1909 the students started a fund to build a pool, and by the end of 1911 the pool was open in a new wing. It has since held many events not the least of which was SAT Testing. With all the gymnastics equipment arrayed around the outside except for a springboard, a horizontal bar and a mat, it appears horizontal bar was the likely focus of the day's classes.


Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Phillips Academy -- Athletics

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :


Citation :

"Borden Gym with an Open Middle Configuration," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16282, (accessed October 4, 2015).