Borden Gym and a Human Sculpture


Borden Gym and a Human Sculpture


Phillips Academy


Construction on Borden Gym was started in 1900 and opened officially on March 22, 1902 with a basketball game against the Harvard Freshmen. It replaced the gym that had been in Bulfinch Hall, which was now to become a Dining Hall. In 1909 the students started a fund to build a pool, and by the end of 1911 the pool was open in a new wing. It has since held many events not the least of which was SAT Testing. Here some boys use pommel horses to show off their gymnastic skills.


Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Phillips Academy -- Athletics

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :


Citation :

"Borden Gym and a Human Sculpture," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16283, (accessed November 30, 2015).