The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches

Title:

The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches

Publisher:

Phillips Academy

Description:

The Brick House was built in 1832 on the site where the Phillips Memorial Gateway was built. It served as a printing house and a book store from 1832 through the 1860's, at which point Warren Draper relocated the business to Andover Center. It then was a boarding house for students, a secret society house for ODA Society formed in the 1870's, and lastly taken over by the trustees in 1908 and torn down in 1912. One might imagine this photograph was a funeral cortege, a trustee meeting or maybe a gathering of the Brick House Society. The latter was formed by George Hinman in 1907 to strengthen social and friendly relations.

Subject:

Phillips Academy -- Buildings

Collection :

History of the Academy

Tags :

,

Citation :

"The Brick House with an Array of Carriages and Coaches," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #16287, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/16287 (accessed November 27, 2014).