Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass


Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass




Title provided by cataloger; Date estimated

400 Essex Street, Swampscott, MA, 01907

View of the front of Andrew's Chapel from across the street.;The Andrews Chapel was built in 1923 in memory of Isaac H. Andrews through a bequest to the Board of Selectman from his wife Ellen E. Andrews. Mr. Andrews had served as a town assessor and on the Board of Selectman. The chapel was designed by Charles V. Burgess. "The building is of Norman Gothic design and constructed of seam-faced granite, which, together with the many buttresses, gives artistic appearance to the exterior walls. The roof is heavy variegated slate and all the flashings are of lead and copper. The exterior ornament of the building is of cut limestone." The chapel is located in the cemetary and in recent years has fallen into disrepair.--Jean F. Reardon, from Swampscott, Massachusetts : celebrating 150 years, 1852-2002, Swampscott Historical Commission, 2002 and --from Images of America : Swampscott, Turino and Mathias, 1996.


Andrew's Memorial Chapel (Swampscott, Mass.)

Church buildings -- Massachusetts -- Swampscott -- Pictorial works.

Swampscott (Mass.) -- History -- Pictorial works.



Collection :

Swampscott Buildings

Tags :


Citation :

"Andrews Memorial Chapel, Swampscott, Mass," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #7875, (accessed September 22, 2017).