Fisherman's Beach, Swampscott, Masssachusetts prior to 1896

Title:

Fisherman's Beach, Swampscott, Masssachusetts prior to 1896

Date:

1895?

Description:

Date estimated

Humphrey Street, Swampscott, MA, 01907

Artist's rendering shows a panoramic view looking north along Blaney (Fisherman's) Beach with fish houses in the background and fishermen on the beach and in dories as well as figures walking on the street above the beach.;Blaney Beach, also known as Fisherman's Beach, was the center of the fishing industry in Swampscott. In 1896, the town built the Fish House to "replace the numerous individual fish houses." In 1897, the Report of the Park Commissioners stated that, "We have aimed at two things: a convenient and sanitary quarters and an architecturally attractive sturcture becoming of a high class pleasure resort." The fish house remains operational and is the only known municipal fish house still in use in the United States.--from Images of America : Swampscott, Turino and Mathias, 1996.

Subject:

Blaney Beach (Swampscott, Mass.)

Beaches -- Massachusetts -- Swampscott -- Pictorial works.

Swampscott (Massachusetts) -- History -- Pictorial works.

Identifier:

B19

Collection :

Swampscott Through the Years: A pictorial history

Tags :

Citation :

"Fisherman's Beach, Swampscott, Masssachusetts prior to 1896," in NOBLE Digital Heritage, Item #8019, http://heritage.noblenet.org/items/show/8019 (accessed September 16, 2014).